So it was my birthday yesterday and I decided to do a post on things I’ve learned by 17. Hope you enjoy!
- You aren’t alone. I was in a very bad place a few years ago and I felt like I was completely alone but then I realised that, actually, I’m not. My cousin messaged me and we talked about our problems together and then I saw that there are people with similar problems who want someone to talk to about it too. It’s nice to know that others feel the same.
- School will be tough: heck, life will be hard, but there will be an end to this. You won’t have to endure this forever. It is temporary; eventually you can be who you want to be. Just wait and it’ll come. 🙂
- Cats are awesome. This is more philosophical than it sounds, OK! I wouldn’t be alive without my cats. Their constant love and purring has helped me stay on this planet all these years. I just cannot thank them enough. I love them so much.
- I’m not as bad as I think. Sure, I might be awful at writing and a horrible person, but I’m not as awful as I think, and not as horrible as I think either. I’m slightly better than I imagine, I guess. 🙂
- You can’t make everyone instantly like you and want to be friends with you. As hard as you try, some people just don’t like you. Whatever that reason is, though, it isn’t your fault.
- Being bullied is not your fault either. It’s not because you’re dumb or because you’re mean or because you’re ugly; it’s because they have nothing better to do. Maybe you’re quiet enough for them to have an advantage over you but make sure you don’t listen because you are worth more than that poison they throw at you. Trust me.
- Stop thinking about the past. It is stopping you from becoming who you want to be. It is breaking you and you can’t let it — sometimes, even if it’s hard to let go, you just have to think about now and tomorrow. Think about who you want to be, not who you were.
- Not everything is going to destroy the world. I have severe anxiety and, often, that stops me from doing things I want to do. I have too many fears and I need to realise that not all of them are required.
- Steeping out of your comfort zone is OK. It’s gonna be hard but it’s also going to help. It will make you be less anxious, less afraid, less awkward. You will be better for it.
- Making mistakes is a part of being human. Everyone makes them: you’re not alone. Although you might think that you’re terrible for making them, you’re not. We learn from them, it’s okay.
- Things might be bad right now, but the phrase “it’ll get better” is true. I know it doesn’t seem like it but it is. You might feel like this for a long while, but it won’t be forever. Nothing lasts forever.
- Don’t worry so much about what others think! Their opinion of you does not define you. Sure, it might affect how others see you, but don’t let it affect how you see you. After all, you are the most important person in your life. Respect that.
- Decisions are so hard to make, but you can make them! I really, really struggle with decision-making. I’m always like “I don’t know” or “can you choose for me?” or “help” but I do make a decision, in the end. If I scream and cry, I’ll still make it, in the end. Just listen to your heart. Do what keeps it beating.
- You can’t change everything about yourself. There are some things that will never go, and that’s okay. You just have to learn to love those parts, as hard as that may seem at the moment.
- There isn’t a solution to every problem, but there is a way of managing them. It’s okay to have problems, especially ones you can’t solve, and you can learn to accept them. It’s alright.
- Remember that no one else thinks about you the way you think about yourself. They are too busy with their own problems! They probably think you’re awesome! 😀
- Growing up is hard, and scary, but we all have to do it. Don’t worry about it. It’s natural.
Thank you for reading this post,